We are in the middle of a 21-day fast from screens. Inspired by “Reset Your Child’s Brain,” the book by Dr. Victoria Dunckley, and spurned on by some of the attitudes of our children, my husband and I put a stop to screens in our home for the past 10 days. We are smack in the middle of this screen-free time.
The book will tell you everything you need to do:
- how to prepare for it (one week or a long weekend during which you read most of the book, print out a monthly calendar and mark activities on it, and order books, toys, activities, supplies for offline living),
- how to announce it to your children (don’t get into arguments),
- how to meet their objections (sweetly),
- how to frame it (experiment, not punishment),
- how to actually do it (clean sweep of laptops, tablets, cell phones, old equipment forgotten under the bed, Kindles – everything with a screen must be put away),
- how to inform your children’s friends and other caregivers,
- how to keep your own sanity through the process etc.
More about the book
Part 1 of the book discusses the brain research it is based on. I was already under conviction something was wrong with our excessive use of screens, so I did not need to read it word-for-word. Every chapter has a one-page summary and that is what I read. But I plan to go back and read every word of it later.
Part 2 of the book will detail how to do the plan: you prepare for a week, then you implement the fast for three weeks. Then, there is the aftermath: advice on what to expect and how to go forward from here.
So far, I can tell you the book is spot on about everything from symptoms to what to expect in each week. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this transformative experience.
Pingback: First Cubing Competition - Homeschool WaysHomeschool Ways
Pingback: Digital Minimalism - Homeschool WaysHomeschool Ways